The Department of Microbiology & Biotechnology is currently headed by Dr. Peters Oladosu. Other staff of the department include;
Professor Ibrahim Kolo, PhD
Dauda Oladepo, PhD
Moses Njoku, PhD
Kasim Izebe, MSc
Mercy Ezeunala, MSc
Shehu Mohammed Busu, MSc
Yakubu Ya’aba, MSc
Mercy Aboh, MSc
Emmanuel Egamana, MSc, NISLT
Yusuf A. Yusuf, PGD
Aisha Auta Abubakar, HND
Mary Usoroh, HND
Ibrahim Ijele, HND
Christy Daniel, ND
Emmanuel Asawa, ND
The functions of the department are;
1. Microbiological quality assessment of foods, water, raw materials, drugs preparations and phytomedicines.
2. Determination of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal potency of extracts, bioactive compounds and drugs.
3. Supports the development of new antimicrobial and antifungal agents to address drug resistance in the management of Malaria, TB and HIV/AIDS
4. Bio-screening for anti-parasitic agents for the treatment of locally endemic diseases, e.g. malaria, Oncocerciasis.
5. Determination of viral load and CD4 count to support HIV/AIDS research and clinical services.
6. Conducts clinical chemistry and hematological analysis to support drug R&D and clinical services.
7. In vitro screening of natural and synthetic products for the management of HIV/AIDS.
8. Development and evaluation of HIV diagnostic kits.
Areas of specialization/collaboration include;
– Virology (collaboration with Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria)