Dr. Bola K. Mustapha currently heads the Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Quality Control (MC&QC). Other staff of the Department include;
Obodozie, O. O., PhD (Research Professor)
Florence D. Tarfa, PhD
Nneka Ibekwe, PhD
Gloria Ajoku, PhD
Kirim, R. A., MSc
Samali Ayuba, MSc
Bukola Odeniran, MSc
Tiwalade Adelakun, B.Pharm
Florence Oga, B.Pharm
Ernest Afolabi, HND, FNISLT
Eunice Oyedele, PGD
Martha Ibe, HND
Cordelia Onanuga, HND
Theresa Jonah, HND
Ache, T. A., ND
Activities of the Department include;
1. Operational research for health policy formulation.
2. Database on quality of drugs in use in Nigeria.
3. Pharmacokinetics of drugs of interest to Nigeria.
4. Development of analytical techniques for food and drug.
5. Drug and Food analyses.
6. Bioavailability and bioequivalence of orthodox drug products.
7. Development of quality specifications for the raw materials/extract/finished products.
8. Isolation/chemistry of natural products
9. In vitro drug/enzyme inhibition studies
Areas of specialization/Collaboration include;
– Collaboration with the National Sports Commission in setting up the National Doping Control Laboratory.
– Establishing the chemistry – manufacturing control for candidate drug.
– Determination of bioavailability/bioequivalence (BA/BE) of ACTs/ARVs in Nigeria.
– Provision of R&D facilities for undergraduates, post-graduate studies and researchers from universities and other organizations.
– Consultancy services and technical support to local entrepreneurs in food and herbal drugs.