Head of Department: Jemilat Ibrahim, PhD currently heads the department.
List of staff of the Medicinal Plant Research and Traditional Medicine includes;
Yemisi Kunle, PhD
Henry O. Egharevba, PhD
Grace Ugbabe, PhD
Samuel Okhale, PhD
Elias Amlabu, B.Eng.
Muazzam Ibrahim, Ethnobotanist
Atogwe John, HND
Elizabeth Gamaniel, HND
John Apev, ND
Andrew Sule, ND
Ahaza Watsum, ND
Sunday Habila, Grd II
Tanko Garba, SSCE
Sunday Umoru, Grd I
Saturday Odigie, GCE
Alfa Idris, GCE
Dikko Bala, GCE
Clement Usen, FSLC
Activities in the Department include
1. Qualitative and quantitative pharmacognosy and phytochemistry of medicinal/aromatic plants.
2. Herbarium services
3. Medicinal/Aromatic plants propagation and cultivation. Development of medicinal plant nursery and greenhouses.
4. Isolation, structure elucidation, synthesis and SAR studies of organic molecules.
5. cGMP compliant pilot scale extraction of medicinal pants and their essential oils.
6. Freeze-drying of medicinal plant parts/materials and extract.
Areas of Specialization/Collaboration include but not limited to;
– Plant microscopy, chemomicroscopy/macroscopy;
– Phytochemical screening for secondary metabolites;
– Chromatographic isolation and analysis (open clumn, HPLC, GC-MS);
– Freeze-drying of plant materials;
– Domestication of wild medicinal plant/foreign plant species; and
– Cultivation of medicinal plant plantation.